Van and trailer permits

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council's two household waste recycle centres (tips, dumps) are for household waste only and for the use of residents of Blackburn with Darwen.

Commercial waste can not be disposed of at household waste recycling centres.

Only cars are allowed at the sites to deter trade rubbish from being disposed of illegally. Estate vehicles including 4 x 4's with full side windows can also use the sites.

If you use a van or a trailer you must get a permit beforehand.

Measures to prevent commercial waste from illegally entering household waste recycle centres, are now common across the UK. Permits are widely used to allow genuine household waste into the sites from commercial type vehicles e.g. vans.

Vehicles that need permits

You are required to obtain a permit if you want to use the centres with one of the following vehicles:

  • Vans
  • Pickups
  • Trailers
  • Mini buses
  • Hire van. Single visit permits are available at each site.
  • Vehicles with the rear seats removed

Vehicles not allowed to use the sites

  • Tippers
  • Any vehicle with trade waste
  • Agricultural type vehicles
  • Motorhomes
  • Vehicles over 3 tonnes gross vehicle weight