The land for the park was originally an area of cloughs and quarries, acquired from the lord of the manor, a Rev. W A Duckworth.
One historic feature of the park is the war memorial, (listed grade II) close to the main entrance. It was unveiled in 1921 and stands symbolically for the five years of World War I, on five stone steps.
The park is now listed in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens (grade II).
Bold Venture Brook cascades down through the woods as a series of falls and pools. The water is crossed in all by three stone and ironwork bridges. The lowest of the pools is also the largest and forms an ornamental lake, the centrepiece of the park.
The lake is planted round with ornamental shrubbery and overlooking the north west bank is an area of formal gardens.
At the southern end of the lake stands the Shorrock Drinking Fountain, a donation to the park to celebrate the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.
The Hindle Aviary
This was presented to the park by Mr and Mrs F G Hindle on 1 November 1901, in commemoration of their silver wedding. The aviary was mounted by a gilded weather vane representing a winged dragon; at the time it cost a princely some of £200.00. It housed a number of exotic birds including peacocks and fantail doves.
After many years the aviary fell into disrepair and in 2004 was replaced by a metal pergola which was funded by the Friends of Bold Venture. The new Hindle Pergola incorporates seating from which visitors can relax and enjoy views of the park and lake.
Lancashire artist, Maggy Haworth, was commissioned to design a mosaic focal point within the pergola. The cobblestone mosaic features a peacock, one of the many beautiful birds that once inhabited the aviary and is surrounded by tiny ceramic birds. Funding for this artwork was from a local charity, the Lloyd Durst.
Maggy's work has featured in the Sunday Times and is much sought after her distinctive style makes her pieces instantly recognisable. She works primarily with natural pebbles continuing a tradition that dates back to the ancient world.
In 2010 Friends of Bold Venture successfully fundraised to restore the Huntington fountain area; this is now a water feature surrounded by a labyrinth.