When the Mayor attends a public engagement the correct protocol should be followed:
- the Mayor is the First Citizen of the borough of Blackburn with Darwen and should be regarded as your principal guest taking precedence over all other citizens
- it is not customary to ask the Mayor to perform a secondary role within their own borough, apart from when royalty or Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant are present
- the Mayor takes precedence over government ministers, members of Parliament and visiting personalities
- if the Mayor is not hosting the engagement he/she should be seated on the immediate right of the host
- it is customary for the Mayor to be the first speaker; however, an introduction by the host is acceptable.
The address for any correspondence is:The Worshipful the Mayor of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Mayor's Office, Town Hall, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 7DY.