It is a requirement that all new applicants for a hackney carriage or private hire drivers licence pass a driving assessment, these are available prior to new applicants submitting an application to the Council.
The standard of the hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle assessment is set at a level suitable for a full driving licence holder. It is therefore higher than the learner driver test and so it is advised that you take some refresher driving lessons prior to the assessment.
Booking your assessment
Your assessment can be booked on 01254 585075.
- Driving test fee: £78
- Missed or late appointment fee: £20 (i.e. 15 Minutes)
- Theory test resit: £20
- Practical driving test resit: £78
Assessments will take place from:Davyfield Road, Blackburn BB1 2 LX.
- At the start of the assessment, you will have to read a number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres.
- You must use glasses or contact lenses during the whole test if you need them to read the number plate.
- You cannot take the driving part of the assessment if you fail the eyesight test and the full fee is forfeited.
Practical and theory assessment
The assessment will include:
- Approx. 40 minutes of urban driving.
- Manoeuvre / turn your vehicle to face the opposite direction.
- Stops at the side of the road simulating a passenger are getting in or out of the vehicle.
- You may also be asked to do an emergency stop.
- Hackney carriage or private hire work related questions (e.g. what to do if a passenger leaves property in your vehicle).
- Questions from the highway code and identifying traffic signs and road markings.
You will pass the assessment if you make 9 driving faults or less. You will automatically fail if you make a serious or dangerous driving fault.
Your vehicle must be fully roadworthy. If you attend the driving assessment with a vehicle that is not roadworthy the assessment will not take place, but you will still be charged for the appointment. You may use a hire car to take the test.
Documents you must bring
- You must bring your photo card driving licence.
- If you have an old-style paper licence without a photo card you must take your signed paper driving licence and a valid passport.
- You will need to produce a valid motor insurance certificate for the vehicle you are taking the driving assessment in.
- If you cannot present all the documents listed above the assessment cannot be completed and you will forfeit the full assessment fee.
Passing the assessment
When you pass your taxi/private hire driving assessment, you will receive the following:
- Pass certificate.
- Copy of your assessment.
- Debrief from the examiner.
Failing the assessment
If you fail your taxi/private hire assessment you will receive the following:
- Debrief from the examiner
- Copy of your assessment
- It is advised that you take some driving lessons in order to meet the required standard.
You cannot retake the driving assessment on the same day that you failed.
Location of Blackburn With Darwen Borough Council motor vehicle workshop
Drive down Davyfield Road until the road bends to the right. At the bottom of the road you will see the entrance gates to the Council Depot. Drive through these gates and staying in the left hand lane, follow the road until you come to a stop at the security barrier Press the button for the garage on the intercom system which is located on your right hand side. A member of staff from the workshop will raise the barrier and direct you to follow the red line on the floor through the Depot which will bring you to the rear of the workshop. You will be able to park in the bays to the left hand side of the workshop.Fleet Management Services, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Davyfield Road, Blackburn, BB1 2LX. Tel. 01254 585098