Licences and permits

Licences and permits applications and registers.

Licensing Act 2003

Blackburn with Darwen’s Licensing Policy since the Licensing Act 2003 came into effect in November 2005.

Alcohol licences

If you run a business selling or supplying alcohol, or providing entertainment in England and Wales, you need a licence from the local authority.

Taxi driver licences

It is an offence to drive a private hire/hackney carriage vehicle unless you have a valid licence issued by the Council. Unlicensed drivers will be prosecuted. You may not drive a private hire/hackney carriage vehicle until your application has been granted and a licence has been issued to you. All applicants and licence holders must familiarise themselves with Council policies and conditions attached to licences. Please see the policy document in the Documents section below.

Hypnotism permit

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from your local council.

Street collection permit

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes you will need a street collection permit from the Council that regulates street collections on behalf of charities.


Information and guidance for applying for a licence.


Information and guidance for applying for a permit.

Temporary event notices

You will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity that is not already authorised under a premises licence or club premises’.

Contact this service

Opening times

The licensing team are open from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.