We are genuinely delighted that you want to find out more information about our vacancies in Social Work and Social Care in Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.
We pride ourselves on our Community spirit and you may already be aware of our reputation for responding positively and getting things done well. The reality is that we achieve highly but there are challenges too as I am sure you will expect with the type of work we do, therefore, we would always prefer to meet you to chat properly and welcome you to contact us to come and have a look around.
The borough’s motto translates as ‘By Skill and Hard Work’ and this grit and determination is strong in our many partnerships which make this one of the most rewarding places to work in Lancashire. Colleagues past and present will confirm there is something special about the place. It’s an exciting time to live and work here.
The Council and Social Care
As a Council, we are absolutely determined to help people living in Blackburn and Darwen enjoy a better quality of life and the chance to raise their aspirations. For us that means making things as fair and inclusive as possible so that people have the chances that they deserve. We know that investing in technology is vital. Modernising and helping others make the most of what is available sits at the heart of what we are trying to achieve.
Adults and Children’s Social Care is varied with many different roles across a range of setting, working with children or people of different ages and support needs.
We are very aware of our staff wellbeing and despite the worries that we all have about friends and family, we still manage to have some fun and share virtual social events via Microsoft Teams, which all employees have access to.
We embrace relationship based practice, innovation and strategies to support you including options for agile working, flexible working arrangements, digitisation and wellbeing programmes. We have an absolute focus on improving the context in which social work practice takes place and this includes having delivered on a commitment to reduce caseloads and maintain strong continuous personal development and opportunities to progress.
Things that you might want to know about working here:
- Less travelling: The vast majority of your work will be within the Blackburn with Darwen boundary so no need to spend ages wasting time travelling miles or having to join busy motorways to get to your appointments – just more time doing the job you love
- Flatter structure: We try to keep our structures as flat as possible whilst still maintaining lots of support for people – all our management team are in the same open plan office space so are easily accessible and we encourage everyone to talk to each other and build strong relationships
- Enviable CPD: We have excellent CPD arrangements in place with a full and comprehensive development programme for all, you can find out more by talking to us or looking at our development pages
- A place for you to innovate: We want to revolutionise the social work world at Blackburn with Darwen and need your strength, experience and motivation to help us achieve this ambitious aim
Why work for Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council?
Employees are at the heart of our organisation. We know we cannot deliver our services and achieve the results we do without hard working, enthusiastic and happy employees. That is why we strive to ensure everyone, regardless of personal circumstances, is treated fairly, equally and have the same opportunities as everyone else. As we are a small Borough to work for your interaction with Senior Managers will be more accessible. At Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council we keep abreast of new developments but always maintain a person centred perspective to our working arrangements.
We offer a range of benefits and rewards to our employees such as but not limited to:
- Flexible and agile working
- Work-life balance
- Low case-loads
- Discounted gym membership
- Tax free childcare
- Local Government Pension
- Car Benefit scheme
- Opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Personal Development
- Professional Development
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council recognises continuous service or ‘unbroken’ service from any local authority, NHS organisation or organisation covered by the modification order.