Are you interested in local democracy?
Do you have sound judgment skills and the ability to think independently?
Do you have a thorough understanding of public life?
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council is looking to refresh our Independent Remuneration Panel membership with immediate effect. Applicants will need to show a capacity for thinking impartially and with sound judgment with applications particularly welcome from people who have experience of any of the following areas:
- Public sector evaluator or other personnel professional
- An academic/consultancy expert in a related field
- A private or voluntary sector or union representative (not a Borough Council employee)
- A person of well-known public standing, such as from one of the local faith communities
The panel consists of up to seven members and the usual term of office is up to 4 years. Panel members are expected to contribute their time freely, as a public service, although reasonable travelling expenses are paid. The role will entail one or two meetings per year together with a degree of telephone and email contact in order to finalise reports.
The role of the Panel is to assist the Council in reviewing its Scheme of Allowances by making recommendations about the amount of allowances payable to Members.
Please note that to be considered for the role:
- You must not have been a Member or Officer of the Council within the last 5 years
- You should not be the Spouse, Partner or close relation or friend of a Councillor or Officer
- You must not be disqualified from being or becoming a Councillor
The interview panel will include the Monitoring Officer, with the interviews being held during November 2021 and the newly formed panel expected to meet (virtually or in person) during December 2021 and early January 2022 in order that a report can be presented to the Council in late January 2022.
If you are interested in applying, please write or e-mail completing the application form below OR enclosing your CV to:
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
King William Street
Email – email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 9AM on Monday 15th November 2021 - Successful applicants will be notified by telephone or e-mail.
If you would like to know more about the work of the panel or the process of appointment, please telephone Phil Llewellyn on 01254 585369.