Tests, MOT certificates and licence payments
You can use our online form to:
- request a taxi test for a private hire or hackney carriage
- vehicle request an MOT certificate
- pay for a vehicle licence
It is an offence to drive a private hire/hackney carriage vehicle without the relevant licence as issued by the Council. Unlicensed drivers may be subject to prosecution.
You may not drive a private hire/hackney carriage vehicle until your application has been determined and the relevant licence granted to you.
The Council expects all licence applicants to familiarise themselves with Council policies and conditions attached to licences. Please see the policy document in the Documents section below.
Before we can consider your application, you are required to:
- complete the application in full and make payment of the fee and
- provide all supporting documents:
- Enhanced DBS check (must be dated within three month of your application being received by the Council). If you have any convictions please ensure you submit this document prior to completing any of the other stages,
- Evidence that you have subscribed to the DBS update service and the unique reference number issued,
- Evidence of your successful completion of the driver training course and knowledge test,
- Practical Driving Test Certificate (showing your successful completion),
- Group 2 medical (certifying your fitness to drive and it must be dated within 6 months of your application being received by the Council),
- Passport or other proof of entitlement to work in the UK,
- Certificate of good conduct (is required where the applicant has been living in the UK less than five years before the date of the application, a certificate of good conduct must be provided from the Embassy or High Commission from the countries where the applicant has resided. The certificate must be less than 3 months old at the time of the application.
- A UK/EU driving licence which you have held for at least 12 months prior to your application for a licence. The licence must reflect your current name and address
- complete the driver mandate consent form to enable the Council to check your driving licence online. Please see the form in the Documents section below.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned to you.
Applicants will be required to subscribe to the DBS update service and maintain that service for the life of the private hire/hackney carriage driver's licence. Please see the DBS certificates section for more information.
Full and complete applications can be submitted by depositing applications at the Council's reception between 1pm and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Payment should be made by debit/credit card.
If all relevant documents are received and are satisfactory – licences will be posted out within 5 working days.