The Charter, which bears the date 28 August, 15th Victoria (1851), consists of three skins of parchment bearing a large seal of green wax, being under the Royal Great Seal of England.
The Charter now hangs in the Council Chamber of Blackburn Town Hall.
Blackburn Borough Council
Blackburn's first borough Council was created in 1851 In the 1880's it was renamed a county borough and received new powers. Then in April 1974 some of its powers were transferred to Lancashire County Council and a new Local Authority was created which involved Blackburn, Darwen, North Turton and parts of the old Blackburn Rural District.The new authority became known as Blackburn District Council. On 15 May 1974 the Queen made up for the districts loss of prestige by giving it the title of Borough once more by the granting of a new charter, the Great Seal of Elizabeth II is attached to the bottom of the charter. This charter now hangs in the Council Chamber of Blackburn Town Hall.
Darwen Borough Council
On the 22 March 1878, the people of Over Darwen were given permission by Charter to set up their own borough council with a mayor, aldermen and 18 councillors, who would have power to acquire property and appoint officers in order to carry out the functions of Local Government.
The granting of the charter provided a time schedule for the setting up of the new Council and divides the Borough into 6 electoral wards. Attached to the charter is the Great Seal of Victoria.
In time the original name of the borough, Over Darwen, became shortened to Darwen and the Darwen Council continued to operate until 1974 when the Borough of Darwen, the countyborough of Blackburn and various other local authority areas were merged together to form the new borough of Blackburn.
The charter now hangs in the council chamber of Blackburn Town Hall.