Statement of accounts
The annual statement of accounts is a statutory summary of the Council’s financial affairs for the financial year and is prepared in accordance with the Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting in the United Kingdom.
The purpose of our statement of accounts is to give clear information on our overall finances and to demonstrate our stewardship of public money for the year.
Draft accounts must be produced and authorised for issue by the Council’s Director of Finance and Customer Services by 31 May each year. Due to the impact of COVID-19 regulations have been issued to extend the statutory audit deadlines for 2019/20 for all local authorities. The impact for the Council is as follows:
- the publication date for final, audited, accounts will move from 31 July to 30 November 2020
- the requirement for the public inspection period to include the first 10 working days of June has been removed. Instead the public inspection period must commence on or before the first working day of September 2020.
- this means that draft accounts must be approved by 31 August 2020 at the latest, although the Council is aiming to have draft accounts approved by the end of June / early July 2020.
As a registered elector you have legal rights to inspect, ask questions about and challenge items in the Council's draft accounts. Please see the public inspection of accounts notice in the "Documents" section below.
Independent auditors review the draft statement of accounts and report annually whether they present a true and fair view of the expenditure and income and year-end financial position of the Council.
The most recent statement of accounts are available below which includes the independent auditor's report.
Notice of Conclusion of Audit 2019/20
Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Regulation 16 of the Accounts and Audit (England)
- The audit of the Blackburn with Darwen Council Statement of Accounts for the year ending 31 March 2019 has been concluded
- The Statement of Accounts 2019/20 and auditors’ report are available for inspection on application to the Director of Finance, Blackburn with Darwen Council, Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn BB1 7DY, between 9:00am and 4pm (Monday to Friday). They can also be viewed online.
- The Statement of Accounts and auditors’ report are open to the inspection of any local government elector for the area, who may make a copy of them or of an extract from them, per Section 25 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014
Director of Finance
Annual Governance Statement
The Annual Governance Statement is a statutory document that explains the processes and procedures in place to enable the Council to carry out its functions effectively. It reports to the Council’s stakeholders on how well it has delivered on governance over the course of the previous year and is published alongside the Statement of Accounts.
The deadline for approval and publication of the Annual Governance Statement is set out in the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015, in line with the requirements for the Statement of Accounts
Annual audit letter
The auditors also consider whether the Council has made proper arrangements for securing value for money through economy, efficiency and effectiveness in the use of its resources. Key issues arising from the audit of the accounts and the value for money conclusion are reported in the annual audit and inspection letter.