Corporate Plan 2019 -2023
State of the Borough Outcome Measures
Community pride in a vibrant place to live and visit
Contains public sector information licenced under the Open Government Licence v3.0
Total number of homes 61,344
There has been a gradual increase in the number of homes within the borough in recent years. However the majority of existing and new homes sit between Council Tax bands A – C.
Actual delivery 756
Since 2015 the borough has seen its actual delivery of homes increase rapidly to the current eight year high.
Affordable new homes 161
The borough maintains a stable level of affordable new homes added to the housing stock each year. 21% of all new homes built being affordable.
Number of empty homes 2,573
In recent years the proportion of households that are vacant hold stable at between 4% and 5%.
Average property price £113,235
Local house prices have steadily increased since 2016 but are well under regional and national averages. On average house prices are 46% the value of English houses and 70% the value of homes within the North West.
Homes sold 1,884
The area has maintained a stable number of annual house sales at circa 1,800 since 2015.
Electric vehicle charging devices 14
The borough has been identified as within the lowest 40% of areas for electric vehicle charging points across the UK.
Food hygiene ratings 90.3%
90.3% of the borough's eating establishments achieve a rating of three or better in the National Food Hygiene Rating scheme. Whilst 61.8% maintain the maximum rating of 5. This is for all local food premises that are not classified as exempt.
Broadband connectivity 98.9%
98.9% of the borough’s commercial and residential premises can receive ultra fast broadband (defined as speeds greater than 24 Mbps). However it remains the decision of individual customers whether or not to receive these speeds.
Recent internet users 105,000
The borough has seen 105,000 people use the internet in the last three months. Conversely 11,000 people have either never used or have not used the web in the last three months.
Total number of reported crimes 17,749
The borough has seen the number of reported crimes increase annually over the last five years. Homicides, residential burglary, stalking, sexual offences and violence with and without injury have seen the largest increase since 2014. However deaths caused by illegal driving and drug related offences have significantly reduced.
Fine particulate matter (PM2.5) 7.4365
The population weighted annual mean for the concentration of PM 2.5 has fallen in the last 12 months evidencing continual improvement in the air quality. Compared to regional and English averages the borough significantly outperforms the England average (9.4113) and is on a par with the annual mean for the North West (7.4779).
Air quality management areas 7
The borough maintains seven air quality management areas.
Our Place: data sources
- Number of homes - Local Data - Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Council Tax data base
- Actual delivery - Local Data - Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Department for Growth and Development, Housing monitoring report
- Affordable new homes - Local Data - Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Department for Growth and Development, Housing monitoring report
- Number of empty homes - Local Data - Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Council Tax data base
- Average property price - Land Registry - UK House Price Index: March 2019
- Home sold- Land Registry - UK House Price Index: April - March 2019
- Electric vehicle charging devices - Department for Transport - Charging devices in the UK league table
- Food hygiene ratings - Food Standards Agency - Food Hygiene Ratings by Local Authority
- Broadband connectivity- Think Broadband - Local Broadband information: September 2019
- Total number of reported crimes - Office for National Statistics - Recorded crime data at Community Safety Partnership and local authority level: 2018
- Recent internet users - Office for National Statistics - Internet users in the UK: 2019
- Fine particulate matter (PM 2.5) - DEFRA - UK Air, Air Information resource, Modelled background pollution data: 2017
- Air quality management areas - DEFRA - UK Air, Air Information resource, List of Local Authorities with AQMAs: 2019