Help with the rising cost of living

The Council is working with a number of local organisations who can offer support.


Local help with energy bills

Bill Busters project

Blackburn with Darwen Healthy Living are supporting residents living in fuel debt with their Bill Busters project. Residents can self-refer or be referred by other services, and this can be done either electronically, over the phone or by post. 

For more information, email or telephone 01254 292650.  

Care Network

The Care Network's Safe and Warm Homes programme can give you advice and support to help you make your home more energy efficient.

Cosy Homes in Lancashire (CHiL)

Cosy Homes in Lancashire can provide funding for energy-related improvements to your home. If your property is suitable, you might be able to have energy efficiency improvements made to your home for free. Visit the CHIL website to find out how to apply.

IMO Charity

Struggling to pay your energy bills? Worried about warming your home? Not sure if you are eligible for funding and grants? Contact IMO Charity by email on or by telephone 07541 936456 or 01254 781310.

Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off. The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:

Help paying your water bill

United Utilities have different schemes to help customers to pay their bills and save money.

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is a government grant for people born before 25 September 1956 to help pay their heating bills. Payments will vary depending on circumstance.

Cold Weather Payment

The Cold Weather Payment is automatically given to eligible households in areas where temperatures are recorded below 0 degrees for 7 consecutive days.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get a discount on your electricity bill with the Warm Home Discount scheme.