More people are eating meals away from the home. At Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council we believe that healthy options should be available for those who want to take care about how much salt, sugar and fat they eat. Eating too much of these can contribute to people becoming overweight and increase the risk of illness such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and overall can reduce life expectancy.
To help consumers find healthier options we have the Recipe 4 Health Awards. They recognise food businesses who offer healthy food options.
The award is free and available on three levels; Bronze, Silver and Gold. They are linked to the Government’s Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and the range of steps taken to make food healthier. Our staff work with businesses giving free help and advice about healthy options and allergy labelling.
The aim is not to force people to eat healthier options, but to make it easier for those who want them to find them.
The award incorporates the following areas:
- Clean and fair
- Ensures that the business meets legislative requirements enforced by trading standards and environmental health so that foods are accurately described and safe to eat.
- Allergen/alcohol awareness
- Ensures businesses know which ingredients are allergenic and how to deal with those ingredients to prevent a customer having an allergic reaction. It also ensures businesses know the law relating to alcohol sales and encourages responsible drinking.
- Healthy eating
- Encourages businesses to use fresh ingredients, prepare them in a healthy manner and clearly sign-post healthier options on menus.
- Environmental focus
- Deals with issues of reducing food miles, resource efficiency and responsible waste recycling and disposal.
Self assessment forms
Businesses wishing to gain the award should contact (01254) 267688 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the self assessment forms below.