Under section 44a of the Local Government Finance Act 1988, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council has the discretion to award a discount for partially occupied properties, providing the situation only exists for a short time.
If the award is agreed, the Valuation Office gives a breakdown of the rateable value for the occupied and unoccupied parts of the property, and Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council will award either the three months, or for industrial properties six months, exemption to the occupied part only.
Situation where the S44a discount may apply:
- full occupation being phased in over a period of time
- full vacation occurring in stages over a period of time
- temporary occupation due to remedial building or refurbishment works, fire damage or similar.
Situation where the S44a discount would generally be refused:
- for any period of part-occupation less than 6 weeks
- where there is no intention to fully occupy the vacant part of the property
- iIf a landlord is using the property, or parts of the property, for storage facilities for short periods of time.
As this is a discretionary discount, each application will be looked at on a case by case basis. If you wish to apply for this discount please contact us.