Civil partnerships

A civil partnership is for same sex couples who want to have their relationship legally recognised. Any couple that registers a civil partnership will have the same rights as a married couple in areas like tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits.

A civil partnership can take place at any register office or approved premise in England and Wales.

Who can register

Two people who are:

  • of the same sex
  • 16 or over (with consent if under 18)
  • not already married or in a legal civil partnership
  • not closely related (eg. parent, sibling, aunt, uncle).

You will first need to formally give notice of civil partnership for each party to the civil partnership registrar in the district(s) of residence, unless one or both parties are non-EEA (European Economic Area) nationals where the couple must attend a designated register office together to attest the notice of civil partnership. Blackburn with Darwen Register Office is a designated office.

Application should be made to the chosen venue for availability before the formal notices of civil partnership can be taken.

Once formal notice has taken place you must wait 28 clear days before you register your civil partnership. In certain circumstances for non-EEA nationals, (countries in the EEA) this waiting period may be extended to 70 days on the instruction of the Home Office.

A notice of civil partnership is only valid for 12 months from the date of the notice.

A civil partnership is legally formed by the signing of the civil partnership schedule. A ceremony is not required by law, however if you want a ceremony (this will be non-religious) around these formalities please contact us.

If you want to arrange a civil partnership in Blackburn with Darwen or make an appointment to give formal notice please contact us.

Convert your civil partnership to marriage

Since 10 December 2014 you have been able to convert your civil partnership to marriage.