Civil marriages

Civil marriages at a district register office or approved premises

You may marry by civil ceremony at any register office or other building approved for civil marriages in England and Wales.

A civil marriage ceremony cannot have any religious content at Blackburn with Darwen register office.

You have a choice of 5 ceremonies with the option to personalise your ceremony with non-religious readings.

Couples do not have to live in the district where the marriage is to take place, but the legal preliminaries and formal notice of marriage must be given to the superintendent registrar for each party in their district(s) of residence, unless one or both parties are non-EEA nationals. The couple must attend a designated register office together to attest the notice of marriage before a superintendent registrar. Blackburn with Darwen Register Office is a designated office.

Application should be made to the chosen venue for availability before the formal notices of marriage can be taken.

Once formal notice has taken place, you must wait 28 days before you register your marriage. In certain circumstances for non-EEA nationals this waiting period may be extended to 70 days on the instruction of the Home Office.

Please note that a notice of marriage is only valid for 12 months from the date of the notice.

If you want to arrange a civil ceremony in Blackburn in Darwen or wish to book a registrar to attend a marriage in a religious building in Blackburn with Darwen, please contact us for more information.

To make an appointment to give formal notice of marriage, please contact us.